As a vice president with Colliers International, I specialize in the acquisition, disposition and leasing of owner-occupied office and investment properties, with extensive experience in both landlord and tenant representation. I help property and business owners navigate the complexities of buying, selling and leasing small-to-medium sized commercial properties throughout metropolitan Phoenix.
I work closely with clients to achieve their financial goals through property acquisition, disposition and leasing. During my more than 30 years of experience as an investment sales specialist, I have developed an excellent reputation and the tools for simplifying the process for business owners to own their own buildings, thereby using their rent payments to build personal wealth.
With an extensive background in creatively marketing owner-occupied buildings, I am known by the brokerage community as the “go-to” person for selling 5,000 to 50,000-square-foot office properties in Central Phoenix. On many occasions, competitors have listed their own properties with me.
I bring in-depth market knowledge and expertise, coupled with a thorough understanding of how real estate impacts an owner’s business. Clients can rely on me to guide them in making strategic decisions that align with their business and financial objectives. I place great value in performing with integrity, providing unparalleled service and establishing long-term relationships with both clients and peers. I partner with clients to ensure their success, treating each transaction as it were my own investment.
Why business owners hire me:
- Frustration with the amount of rent they pay to landlords with nothing to show for it and worry about having enough money set aside for retirement.
- Realization investing in a building provides an opportunity to pay rent to themselves and diversify their investment portfolio.
Should I buy or lease: contact me to request a buy vs. lease analysis:
- I understand the complexities of deciding whether to buy or lease a commercial property and provide a thorough and objective analysis to identify the option that best fits your business and economic objectives. Users of commercial space need to thoroughly understand the advantages and disadvantages of each option.
- Whether buying or leasing, I will identify the best property to support the requirements of your business.
Why property owners hire me:
- My reputation of integrity and success in working with owners to achieve their financial goals. I consider your short- and long-term objectives for ownership and develop a strategy to achieve the maximum return on investment.
- Well-versed and experienced in working with buyers. Properties are presented in terms a buyer will understand.
- I handle every tour and inspection at the property and regularly communicate results to the ownership.
- Institutional-grade marketing is brought to every assignment.
- 2017 - All-In Award for Colliers | Greater Phoenix for being fully committed to moving to the next level and to setting winning strategies for the future
- Ranked #2 Team and #13 Overall Broker in Greater Phoenix in 2014
- Ranked #1 in sales of owner/occupied office buildings within my market space in 2009
- Top Office Producer in 1989; Top Five Producer in 1995, 1991, 1990, 1989
- Top 25 Producer for Colliers in U.S. and Canada in 1995
- Recipient of 1994 Manager's Award
- Bachelor of Science, Finance and Marketing, Indiana University
Memberships & Involvements
- Colliers International | Arizona Leadership Council
- Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office Advisory Posse (MCSO), Commander
- MCSCO Memorial Fund, Chairman of the Board
Connecticut Mutual Life Insurance; Eaton ＆ Associates Insurance Agency; Hartford Accident ＆ Indemnity Company; Maricopa Medical Society; Bank One; Brown Caldwell Engineering; KPMG Peat Marwick; Arizona Better Business Bureau,; Alliance Bank of Arizona; Lovitt Touche Insurance Agency; Lewis and Roca Attorneys; Phoenix Home & Garden Magazine;, Arizona Historic Properties LLC; State Farm Insurance Companies
"In my experience working with John Barnes, I have found him to be hard-working and detail oriented; and he always has his client's best interest in mind. From a seller's viewpoint, I find value in his extensive knowledge of the Central Phoenix market and his strong relationships with numerous local businesses. Additionally, he sets clear expectations going into an engagement and consistently meets them. In an industry saturated with competition, these characteristics set John apart."—Warren Forsythe, Vice President, Alliance Bank of Arizona
“We recently utilized Mr. Barnes for a property transaction sale. He was very helpful throughout the entire process including negotiating the purchase contract, recommending vendors for inspections, managing to critical dates with the buying agent, providing utility and general building specifications to the buyer, and monitoring of the program through the closing date. In our experience, there is no better agent for commercial building transactions in downtown Phoenix.”—Dan Blaes, Arizona Historic Properties, LLC