Mr. Phelan is co-chairman of Colliers International’s Boston office, a full-service commercial real estate firm providing Brokerage, Development & Consulting Services, Valuation & Advisory Services, Capital Markets, and Real Estate Management Services to a broad range for clients. Mr. Phelan joined the firm in 1978 to create the Capital Markets group, which is now one of the two largest in the region. He was appointed president in 2007 and then co-chairman in 2010. Over the course of his career, Mr. Phelan has been involved in several billion dollars in financings across the United States, representing all property types.
The Capital Markets group represents nearly 20 institutions as their New England correspondent. Additionally, the Capital Markets group maintains a servicing portfolio valued in excess of $1 billion.
Mr. Phelan has served on correspondent advisory councils for both AEGON U.S.A. Realty Advisors, Inc. and Nationwide Life, and on numerous boards and committees for organizations such as Providence College, Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston; Archdiocese of Boston; Crossroads; and the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce.
AWARDS / ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
· 2016 Recipient of the Tom Richardson Award from Colliers International
· 2015 Recipient of Honorary Degree in Public Service from Providence College
· Recipient of the Greater Boston Real Estate Board’s 2015 uAspire Scholarship Fund’s First One Award
· Recipient of Providence College’s 2013 Black & White Award for loyalty and generosity to his alma mater
· Recipient of the New England Baptist Hospital’s 2011 Legendary Leader Award
· Recipient of the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce’s 2006 Distinguished Bostonian Award
· Recipient of the USS Constitution Museum’s 2009 Charles Francis Adams Award
· Recipient of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston’s 2002 Unsung Hero Award
· Recipient of Mayor Thomas Menino’s proclamation naming February 20, 2001 “Kevin C. Phelan Day”, in recognition of business, civic and philanthropic contributions to the City of Boston
· Recipient of the Real Estate Finance Association’s 2001 Robert S. Swain Jr. Distinguished Service Award
· Acknowledged by Boston Magazine as one of “Boston’s 100 Most Powerful People” in 2000 and 2001
· Acknowledged by Irish American Magazine in their annual “Business100” issue as one of the top 100 Irish American businessman in the U.S. for 2001
· Recipient of the Ten Point Coalition 2000 Community Service Award
· Co-Founder and Past Chairman of The United Way of Massachusetts Real Estate & Building Industry Leadership Breakfast
· Recipient of the National Conference of Community and Justice 1998 Humanitarian Award.
· Recipient of the Boston Municipal Research Bureau’s 1998 City Champion Award
· Recipient of the Boston Jaycees’ 1979 Ten Outstanding Young Leaders Award
Providence College, Bachelor of Science, Business Administration
Boston College, Master of Business Administration
Stonier Graduate School of Banking, Class President, 1975
Memberships & Involvements
ADVISORY AFFILIATIONS: Real Estate Financial Advisor for the Knights of Columbus real estate portfolio. Real Estate Advisor for several universities and hospitals in the Boston area. AFFILIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS: Counselors of Real Estate (CRE), Member; Greater Boston Real Estate Board (GBREB), Member; Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, Member; Real Estate Finance Association (REFA), Member; Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA), Member; Strategic Alliance Mortgage (SAM), Member; Urban Land Institute (ULI), Member; Licensed Real Estate Broker in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut DIRECTORSHIPS: Archdiocese of Boston Finance Council; Real Estate Subcommittee, Chairman; Boston Foundation, Director Emeritus; Boston Municipal Research Bureau, Director; Boston Police Foundation, Trustee; Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston, Director Emeritus; Member of Corporate Leadership Council, Past President; Carroll Center for the Blind, Trustee; Crossroads /Camp Wing, Chairman; Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce; Executive Committee, Member; Providence College, Trustee; Capital Campaign, Co-Chairman; Chairman; Varsity Athletic Committee; Member; Facilities Committee, Member; The Hundred Club of Massachusetts, Director CORPORATE DIRECTORSHIPS: BNY Mellon Funds Trust, Director, Business Board, Member; National Association of Corporate Directors - New England Chapter, Director PAST DIRECTORSHIPS: Boston Capital Partners REIT, Member (Sold); Boston Public Library Foundation, Director, Past Chairman (20 years); Catholic Charitable Bureau, Past Director, Past President (9 years); Fiduciary Trust, Trustee (15 years); Heritage REIT, Director (Sold); Newton Country Day School, Chairman (15 years); Simmons College, Trustee (8 years); St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center of Boston, Chairman of the Board of Trustees (15 years) ADDITIONAL AFFILIATIONS: Babson College, Board of Visitors; Boston College Club, Member; Boston Green Ribbon Commission, Member; Boston University School of Public Health, Board of Visitors; Children’s Hospital Advisory Council, Member; Clover Club, Member, Past President; Commercial Club of Boston, Member; John F. Kennedy School of Government,; Taubman Center Advisory Board, Member; Lesley University Leadership Council, Member; Longwood Cricket Club, Member; Providence College Capital Campaign, Co-Chairman; Ten Outstanding Young Leaders, Member; University Club of Boston, Member, Past President MISCELLANEOUS: Founder/Member of The Breakfast Group, a committed group of Boston business, civic and political leaders focused on economic and social interests of the Commonwealth
Ink Block, Boston, MA - A $63,000,000 equity placement rental/retail development. Also assisted in the placement of $105 million construction loan.
Park Square Building, Boston, MA - $95MM securitized first mortgage. Dual defeasance of existing notes.