National Director | Self Storage Group
With a reputation as a key player in self-storage investment sales, James “Ashley” Compton has sold or listed 15.2 million square feet of self-storage sold or listed over the course of his 16 year brokerage career. These transactions are valued in excess of $1.28 billion and place Ashley among top national producers. Upon joining Colliers International’s Nashville office in 2016, Ashley was named a national director of self-storage investment sales.
While obtaining his undergraduate degree, Ashley launched his career as an acquisitions analyst for a self-storage REIT. His brokerage experience began at CBRE, where he quickly developed the firm’s Nashville-area practice into a well-known national brand. In 2014 and 2015, CBRE recognized Ashley as the firm’s highest-grossing national self-storage producer. Ashley has served diverse clients including Childress Klein, Bank of America, GE Capital Corporation, Babcock & Brown, Westport Properties, Regions Bank, and U-Haul International.
Before acquiring a master’s of business administration with a concentration in accounting from the University of Mississippi’s School of Business, Ashley earned a bachelor’s in finance and real estate from the University of Memphis.
- 2018 & 2019 Colliers Everest Club Award Winner (Top 10% Producer — Colliers International)
- 2017, 2018, & 2019 Top Colliers Self Storage Broker in North America
- 2017, 2018, & 2019 Colliers Top 10 Producer Award
- 2017 Costar Power Broker
- 2017 NAIOP Top Industrial Sale Finalist
- 2014 & 2015 Top CBRE Self Storage Broker in the Americas
- 2006, 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2015 Top Five CBRE Producer
- 2007 NAIOP Rising Star Award
- 2006 Nashville Business Journal Top 25 Commercial Real Estate Deals (No. 10)
- University of Mississippi, Master's of Business Administration
- University of Memphis, Bachelor's of Arts in Finance and Real Estate
”If you have the opportunity to work alongside Ashley in any capacity, you will quickly see he brings a refreshing combination of cutting-edge industry knowledge and financial wherewithal, as well as business integrity and honesty.” -- Drew Hoeven, Westport Properties, Inc.
“Bringing buyers and sellers together can be challenging. However, Ashley creates results through collaboration and stellar communication. I look forward to working with Ashley for many years to come and recommend him to anyone looking to transact in the storage industry.” -- Seth Bent, Red Dot Storage